Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Winter wonderland

My world was beautiful this morning when I went out to walk. Not as cold as yesterday due to the snow and it was a real pleasure to be outside and be part of it all.

I know it all sounds a bit strange to say all this but it was like entering a magical world. Part of me wished I had the camera although I realised that it was still too dark for photos to come out and to use a flash would not capture it as it was. Instead I just drank it all in.

In so many places I walked on virgin snow and left only my trail of footprints. There is that lovely muted crunch sound that you get when your foot presses into the snow and the slight muffled squeak when your foot moves onto the next step. In fact all the sounds were muffled and the quietness more silent than usual. All the result of the blanket of snow, I guess

Snow brings out the child in me but there was nowhere to make snow angels and snowball fights on your own don't really work. There was a boy I passed who tried though and then I was brought back to my mum role when a voice said 'James, come in and get ready'. 'I am', came the reply. Have you got your....' - I didn't hear the word. 'no' answered James. 'Then you aren't ready are you?' Well at least it's not only me having that sort of dialogue.

As I neared home there were more people about and more cars and the snow was beinging to get slushy and slippy. Where I'd been striding out 30 minutes before, I had to watch my feet and move more slowly. The magic world was slowly fading away.

It all came as a bit of a surprise when I opened the curtains this morning, I wonder what tomorrow will have in store.

No comments: