Monday, January 22, 2007

Blue Monday!

Today has been designated as the most depressing day of the year in the UK. So how does that make you feel? Will it effect your day at all? I am not sure it will make much difference to mine as I am just getting on with things. I had my walk, now I'm working my way through the tasks of the day and looking forward to a meeting at 2.00 and a pleasant evening later on.

I wonder if labelling today makes people feel worse. Does it draw attention to feeling low and in fact make people feel that way when they aren't? Are we saying that you should feel low today? OK, the weather is not very good but I still have geraniums growing in my window boxes and the clematis and winter jasmine are both out. I saw some great friends on Friday and there are lots of things to look forward to.

Does telling you that this is the most depressing day at least give you hope for the rest of the year? I mean it must be uphill from here, mustn't it?

At the end of the day we are individually responsible for our own happiness. Only we can take control and bring about the change in our lives so let's show ourselves and the world that this day does not have to be depressing after all. What could you do? Meet a friend for lunch. Go for a drink after work. Get some holiday brochures. Buy some flowers for your desk. Phone or email a friend. Book a massage. Go for a walk. Take 15 minutes 'me' time. The possibilities are endless.

The good news is that 'a total of 85 per cent of Britons expect to be happier in the future than they are now', a psychological study for Standard Life Bank found. Scots were the most optimistic, followed closely by the Irish, while those from the West Midlands had the least positive outlook on life, researchers discovered.

The study shows work will become less of a focus for Britons this year, with taking up a new hobby the top tactic for being happier in 2007. Is this what you are planning? Those interviewed also said they planned to reduce their working hours or retire and take a gap year in order to improve their quality of life. The research – entitled the Freestyle Happiness Index – also found that the nation's optimism is being boosted by a falling interest in material possessions. People also said they hoped to make themselves happier by clearing their debts, paying off their mortgage and achieving financial security.

It all sounds good to me. If you are struggling, have a think about what would make you happier and start now by taking one small step. See you are on the journey already.

No comments: