Sunday, February 25, 2007

Visitors in my area.

I've had such a lovely weekend and it's all thanks to Pauline who had Ellie for a sleepover. As a result Alan and I found ourselves with 28 hours all to ourselves - oh goody!

I caught up with a girlfriend for a coffee and Alan got his act together as he is off to Dubai early tomorrow morning and then we chilled yesterday afternoon and watched some of the rugby. I was rather delighted to see Ireland thrash England but that sentiment was not shared by my husband whose football team had also been beaten - it's a good job we can move on and put things like that to one side.

Food and wine are two of our shared passions so a free evening nearly always includes both. I owed Al a birthday meal so her choose to head to Wapping Food on Wapping Wall. Although being based in an old hydraulic power station the place is rather hard to find in the dark when following directions from the tube but we succeeded at last and walked into a caverness space bright and welcoming with large pieces of machinery sitting around as well as large, and I do mean large, photos.

The food is Mediterranean, the wine Australian and the staff friendly and efficient. The whole evening was a wonderful experience topped off with a visit to the art gallery which given the size of the place took our breath away and then we took a trip to the roof where we could look out over Shadwell Basin and enjoy the view.

Still child free this a.m. we decided to go out for breakfast and headed off to Spitalfields Market. Unfortunately some of the old market has been demolished to allow concrete and glass development which is a shame but the juxtapositioning of the old and the new is quite interesting as is the ever growing collection of designer clothes stalls allowing young designers to show and sell their wares. It was a good job Alan was with me otherwise I may have parted with more money than I should.

As we set off home, I felt I'd been on a weekend break and this one couldn't have been more timely.

No comments: