Monday, February 26, 2007

Integrity

Do you have integrity?

Apologies for starting with what might be seen as an offensive question but this is something else that I believe passionately in and I am amazed at the number of people who just do not have it.

So what is it? Well for me it incorporates honesty, being true to yourself, operating from a place of good and being ethical. Below are some of the dictionary definitions:-
Moral or ethical strength: character, fiber, honesty, principle. See strong/weak. The quality of being honest: honesty, honor, honorableness, incorruptibility, upstandingness. See honest/dishonest. The condition of being free from defects or flaws: durability, firmness, solidity, soundness, stability, strength, wholeness. See better/worse. The state of being entirely whole: completeness, entirety, oneness, totality, wholeness. See part/whole.

Integrity Quality characterized by honesty, reliability, and fairness, developed in a relationship over time. Customers and clients have much more confidence when dealing with a business when they can rely on the representations made.

I believe that if you operate from a place of integrity that you will say the right thing and do the right thing and that it is right for you but it is not always easy.

For the past few months I have known that something I had committed to do was no longer what I wanted. The problem was telling others and I kept thinking that I was letting someone down and that they would be disappointed and angry with me. So for a while I still went along with it and did what I committed to but my heart was not in it. I was relieved when a meeting was cancelled but as time went on and I felt more strongly about the path I had to follow, I knew I had to have the conversation. I had to be true to me.

So today I did stay true to me and of course the person was not annoyed, they understood and even if they hadn't I knew I had done the right thing. Things had moved on for them too and we were able to discuss how to move on and take well considered decisions. Tonight I feel lighter and pleased.

If you are in doubt, follow your intuition, go with what you know to be right and act with integrity, it will be the correct course to take.

No comments: