Thursday, June 15, 2006

Phew!!!

I have been a single parent since early Sunday morning which might help explain the lack of blogging entries. Alan has been in Dubai and is due to return there again in a week or two. Such is his growing reputation out there that the work is expanding. Like all things there are two sides to this, one that means he is away from us and we all miss that but then the coming back together is joyful and it is good for business. As long as he enjoys it and it fulfills his wishes then I am happy.

Now regarding the single parenting, I know many of you do this all the time and many of you also have more than one child. I take my hat off to you, it is such hard work and I know for me that is because I am so used to have an excellent partner to share things with. With him gone, I have to do all of it and the hours available just seem to shrink. This week I have been trying to find time to ice my sprained ankle and to put it up for about 15 minutes a day - small things really so why then am I struggling to find the time?

It's been a challenging few days over and above everyday life. We have had to deal with sleepless nights due to the extreme heat. After the second restless event, I recalled the existence of two fans bought in the heat wave last year so off I went to the attic. To add a little extra to the scenario, I want you to factor in a rather sore ankle, it having been worked on earlier in the day by my sports masseur. The attic was boiling and the fans were nowhere in sight. I ended up looking in every bag, bin bag, box and other receptacle I could find at the same time swearing profusely at my dear husband who had put them away all those months ago. By now I had rivers of sweat running off me, my ankle was throbbing and I kept hitting my head on the low beams. ....and yes, just as I was about to give up, I found them in a box which had been abandoned and mostly hidden under the eaves - success.

On the same evening as the fan search, we also discovered the existence of nits in Ellie's hair. This was a regular occurance in reception class but since then nothing. Fot those parents familiar to this and I am sure that includes most of you, the process is lengthy and needs repeating daily. Did I need this, no!

Finally when I should have been on a conference call with my attraction marketing group on Tuesday evening, I was baling water alongside my wonderful neighbour to try and save my office from being flooded. The torrential rain caused a back flow from the drains as they could not cope with the quantity of water and this in turn led to one of the flag stones on my patio being pushed up by the force of the water and it all flowed down the garden. At first I was quite energised by the power of the storm and then realised what was happening. I was in the middle of calling my neighbour when she turned up at the door so that was why Ann and I ended up clothed in cagouls and wellies wading around the garden moving the water into plant pots, borders and all surrounding gardens. It took quite a while to sort out but we did it and what a sense of partnership and achievement we had. However, every time the skies darkened after that I was a little concerned. I did what I could and lifted everything off the floor in the office and then asked the Universe for help in not sending any more torrential rain. A result and I was able to sleep. The job in hand is now to have the whole thing looked at by a builder and re-built if necessary.

In the meantime, the gratitude is that it happened when it did and not in the middle of summer when we, and many of our neighbours would have been away. Also the reminder that building and maintaining good relationships with your neighbours is so important and not only for times of stress. We have a great community and know lots of people in the area. Of course like all relationships, you have to put some work into it but having great neighbours is a lovely feeling and has so many benefits. You feel part of something, there are people who look out for you, in our situation we get together on a regular basis and help each other out when we can. Ann and Matt have become very dear friends and we help and support each other a lot so as she left on Tuesday evening I knew she meant it when she added 'If it all starts flooding in the middle of the night, call us'

No comments: