Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Smiling


For her religious education homework this week my daughter had to write her own 10 commandments.


Her list included -


  • always do your best

  • be positive

  • be kind to all living things

  • be honest

  • smile often

The "smile often" is one that particularly resonated with me as it's very hard not to respond when someone smiles at you, it makes you feel good and it also takes less muscles to smile that it does to frown.


Often when I'm out walking I smile at everyone I meet, the majority smile back. There's always one who just looks perplexed.....


Sorting through some papers this morning I found this poem and wanted to share it with you.


Smiling


Smiling is infectious


You catch it like the flu


When someone smiled at me today


I started smiling too



I passed around the corner


And someone saw me grin


And when he smiled I realised


I'd passed it onto him



I thought about the smile


And I realised its worth


A single smile like mine


Could travel round the earth



If you feel a smile begin


Don't leave it undetected


Let's start and epidemic quick


And get the world infected.



The poem itself is enough to get you frowning so let it go and pass it on and let's smile through the day, week and year.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to live in Germany where it wasn't that common to smile and say "hello" as you passed someone on the street.

One morning while I was out walking I smiled and said hello to a woman I was passing. She smiled back, stopped, and asked me if she knew me! We struck up quite conversation.

It's a great way to make new friends!

Darlene