Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Lovely people ease the journey.

On our life's journey there are challenges, obstacles and lots of adventures. Some are easy and fun and some really difficult and can be unpleasant.

I had one of those potentially unpleasant experiences ahead of me today and although I was working hard on my positivity, I could feel the stress fill my body as we turned into a long queue of traffic heading just where I needed to.

When I got to the destination there were no signs telling me where to go and the blank look and very unhelpful response from the person at reception, when faced with the question 'is the screening unit in this building?' made me wonder what planet she was on. Yes, that was the stress taking hold too.

I finally got there, but late, and I hate being late.

'No problem,' I was informed, 'just take a seat' and then when I was called through, the radiographer was a dream. She put me at ease straight away, chatting and taking me through the process I was about to undergo. My stress lifted and I was immediately calm and I also felt cared for.

Yes, the process is not one I'd rush back for, but it was 10 times easier than what I'd been led to believe and much less painful. But was it really or did that happen because with her skill and experience the radiographer eased my journey because she was able to put me at ease?

I'm a great believer in we get what we expect. I try to remain positive as much as possible and in this lady's hands I expected good.

Just have a think about whose journey you might be able to make easier. They'll really appreciate it and also look out for the people who ease yours.

No comments: