Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Settling back in........

The holiday we have just had was very different from chilling out in our house in France or round the pool of my favourite hotel in the Costa Brava; both of these are what we have spent the last few summers doing. This USA one was action packed and the longest we stayed in any one place was 5 days. With hindsight, it would have been good to have fitted in a few chill out days - point to take on board for future similar trips.

As a result I am now taking some of that time to chill but also to consider how I want to move on both in terms of future strategy and workload but also how I want my life to look and feel for me. There is so much learning and therefore adjustments to be made as I strive to find the ideal balance for my lifestyle. If this is something that you too are searching for, keep striving and like me, review constantly taking on board what works well and eradicating that which doesn't.

One thing I am very aware of as I write is the tension I get in my neck and shoulders. It is always worse when I return to my desk and I am very aware that I do not keep my shoulders down as much as I should. This is going to be a priority for me over the next few weeks and months. What might your priority be?

Whatever it is, make sure you build in the 'me' time - it really does pay. The investment in you can make you less stressed and hassled and more of a pleasure to be around and if you are a mum in the middle of the school holiday season, we need as much help as we can to remain calm and ready to provide organisation, entertainment etc.

My daughter is currently on a 'High School Musical' theatre workshop so is away from 9.00 - 4.00. Having to get her there has been a blessing as has the car being unwell, honestly. Yesterday I opted to pick her up as I knew it would mean I could fit in a 50-60 minute walk there and today I took her there by cab so I could walk back. It got me back into my daily fitness routine quickly and as the weather here is so great at present it has helped to top up my tan too.

As I left her off this morning I walked past a lovely little cafe which had just opened and decided to take the opportunity of some time out. I spent a glorious hour sitting in the morning sunshine enjoying the most wonderful cappuccino and croissant and watching the world go by. Did I feel guilty? No. I had already got my daughter to her workshop; had done a little unexpected networking with a mum and business woman I met there with her son; I was just about to walk back therefore fitting in my exercise and thinking time and I had also had some me time. This is just the sort of thing I want to be a daily occurrence in my working life. I now feel laid back and productive so bring on more of it. I just need to work out how this will work for me once the pace cranks back up again and I will share any observances.

Have a great day, I intend to.

No comments: