Thursday, March 03, 2011

Want to build your confidence and self esteem, go walking!

Walking is invigorating - it raises your energy levels and expands your creativity; it gives you space to think; you’re amongst nature and it can be done by nearly everyone from your own front door and all over the world. You also need no special gear, just a comfortable pair of shoes.

The other great thing is, that when you’re walking, you’re away from the situations and the people who may be the cause of you lack of confidence or self esteem. They may be the people and situations who cause you angst, stress, trauma and the desire for change, so in this type of environment you are able to think more clearly and widely. I’ve yet to go for a walk and come back feeling down or in a bad mood.

We often lack confidence or have low self esteem because we don’t believe in ourselves; because we are always comparing ourselves with others; because we set ourselves up to fail by trying to do too much; because we lack direction and are not too sure where to go, because we are at the ‘beck and call’ of other people.

If you walk alone it provides you with plenty of time to think, something we don’t always give ourselves the gift of. Often we don’t want to as we are scared of what we might find but in my experience the reality is never as bad as the fear we imagine. Walking has definitely helped me to work through challenges and issues in my life be they business or general life related.


As well as my own confidence and self esteem, I use walking to great affect with my clients when, I believe, even more is achieved through being out in the fresh air and in a space where only the person you’re with can hear what you have to say.

Walking has saved my sanity because at a very challenging time in life, I was able to walk in the hills and escape; it’s enabled me to help others; it’s the best de-stressor I know and it’s shaped me to be who I am where I have confidence in me.

No comments: