Saturday, March 05, 2011

1st 'Athena Angels ' walk

My focus has been on the training plans for Athena Angels over the last few days. Firstly as I threw out the challenge to the group pf a walk this morning just to get things started off and secondly, once I'd done that I stated on Thursday that I would have a time table of all dates completed by the end of the day!

Now this had been something I'd been meaning to do for a while and I know me, publicly acclaim that I'll do something and there's no way I'll not to it.......It took me till about 11.00 p.m. but it was really worth it and now we have a time table of walks that I'll run as well as a self training plan which include those walks for those who may not be able to get to them and have to train on their own.

So even with short notice 6 Athena Angels including me met up at Mile End tube at 10.30 this morning and walked up the canal to Islington covering the 3 miles in 85 minutes. A well earned coffee and loo stop and the sun was shining as 4 of us did the return 3 miles - a total of 6 miles. Well done.

Above, en route on the canal.


To the right - art work in Hackney on a soon to be demolished building.

Stretches were discussed at our stop so that hamstrings and quadriceps could be eased and I recommended my usual 10-15 minutes lying on the floor with your legs up against the wall. This really drains away the lactic acid that can cause pain and discomfort the next day - wonder how many of you are doing this?

 As well as raising money for a great cause , one of the reasons for doing this walk is to develop and build on a great sense of bonding and belonging and to network. I for one got to know Nikki much better though having a great chat on the walk and look forward to targeting Nicola next time so watch out.


Activity on the canal.

Well done to everyone. "It was a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning," was Sonia's comment. Next walk, next Saturday. Details will come out through the week.

1 comment:

CardioPulseWave said...

It was a great walk, I really enjoyed seeing a part of London I've never been to before and chatting to the others in the group.
When I got home I duly stretched and put my legs up the wall! Enjoyed that with a book in my hand :)
Looking forward to the next one!