Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stop ignoring the signs!

That's just what I did and I've been here before so please learn from me.

Way back in 2005, after ignoring that fact that I should be taking more exercise and looking after me more, my back gave in on me on holidays. A little move on the sun lounger on day 1 of what was to have been a great 10 day break with the family in the sun and something went. For the next 4/5 days I tried painkillers, muscle rub and swimming but no, and we had to give in and head home.

As a positive thinking person and a coach, I did what I shouldn't do and went into pure victim mode - Why me? Why now? What have I done to deserve this? Why couldn't this have happened at another time?

It didn't do me any good but I do believe we need to allow a wallow sometimes. Anyhow I soon got out of it and then started trying to understand the reason why? My take on it was the fact that I kept saying I'd put me first and I didn't so my body taught me a lesson and in the Sept of that year , just a few weeks later I started walking seriously and that revolutionised my life in so many ways.

My walking is so important to me and I've seen the effect using it in my business has made to my clients so it's now such a part of me and how I function. I got fitter, more toned and for all the years since then I've had no colds or flu and my health has been really good.

However, over the past year, although I still walk with my East End Girls walking group monthly, train others to get fit for treks and am undertaking a 1000 mile walk across parts of France and Spain in sections, I've not walked daily and inside I know I should.

So I've been ignoring that intuition. At times, I've had a little insight and done some morning walks but it's not been at the same regularity. I believe that knowing I needed to get fitter again was one of the reasons I wanted to launch the Athena Angels Initiative. I knew that by getting others involved and being able to share my love of walking with them I'd be motivating them and it would be good for me too. Our first couple of walks have been great and I look forward to loads more.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a really sore foot, my knee has been pulling a little too and then just a few days before heading off to Mallorca my back tweaked as well. Of course this was my intuition shouting longer so I went to see the Physio, I started doing my knee exercises again (but why had I stopped) and I prayed that all would be OK for Mallorca. It was and we did some terrific walks - thanks Paula.

I came back on Friday having thought a lot about the way I was living my life and the changes I wanted to make as I knew I was pushing myself too far and judging myself too harshly. Then on Sat as I bent down to put the washing in the washing machine (how exciting) my back went. My body knows me. It had let me have my four days of walking but it wasn't convinced that I'd now take all the action I needed so it was pulling me up.

I've taken time out, I've realised some new things about me, I've started to put new plans into place all about taking care of me. Ladies you've heard me say this before you need to look after you, you need to be 'fit for business and fit for your life' so learn from me.

Things got on top of me, I started letting things slip, I ignored the signs. I don't intend to again.

No comments: