Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The giant and the dark clouds

On my walk yesterday morning, the sky looked really dark and heavy, you know the way it gets when it is a sort of midnight blue colour. These dark and ominous clouds rolled around looking threatening and very angry and made me think of a giant or a god, like those I learned about as a child in Greek mythology. I had in my mind these images of a bellowing figure venting his anger and I felt chilled.

However as the clouds rolled around more and dawn broke they thinned out and soon disappeared, allowing the morning light to penetrate and soon there was no sign of the angry giant at all.

It had all happened relatively quickly, over 30-40 minutes and I found myself thinking of the process of changing our moods and not letting an incident affect our mood for the whole day. Sometimes one thing can change your mood dramatically and often at the start of the day, set up a chain of events that makes us want to crawl back under the duvet. How much better to recognise that things do not have to be like that and to choose to swap the black mood for a much lighter one.

I am not always successful at this, sometimes, I want to wallow but in most cases I'd love to put on the calm cloak, so I'm going to make an effort to try. Are you?

No comments: