Sunday, January 22, 2006

How well do you know your local area?

In a large city it is not always easy to get to know the entire place intimately. You probably know the areas you go to regularly quite well whether in your own back yard or centrally but what about the sections of the main thoroughfare or off your own habitual routes.

When people are evaluating their lives, a tip they are often given is to do something different even if it's changing your route to the bus stop or train station.

As an avid walker I feel that I know my own back yard quite well but in conversation with a friend yesterday, it became clear that an area only a few miles away was not known by me in any detail at all. I shall add that to my list of places to walk as I have discovered that walking is the best and most enjoyable way to familiarise yourself with places. I should not be at all surprised by this as when I travel my preferred way of exploring is on foot. Doing that, you get so much more of a feel for a place and see more of the culture and people. The same is true in your own town, village or city.

Yesterday on a walk that had no specified destination, I discovered newly developed areas, shops, landmarks as well as pubs, coffee shops and restaurants. It was a true walk of discovery and was so much fun too.

We also saw the barge taking the whale that had swum up the Thames back out to the sea. It was a rather poignant moment. Why not take a walk yourself and have some fun?

No comments: