Thursday, January 12, 2006

Helpless at the end of a phone

When using our office number you can get through to mediacoach (the media training and crisis management side of our business) or waringwell which deals with career development. Due to my business partner's expertise he gives of his time freely regarding dealing with the media to a charity helping the victims of stalking.

Yesterday I took a call from a lady who has been stalked for many years and she needed some immediate help as she had just discovered that her cover had just been blown yet again as the result of someone not being diligent about what information was posted where. She and her children have had to move and assume new identies on numerous occasions and at last they thought they were safe.

Unfortunately, our number is not an appropriate one to give out to anyone other than the press in this situation but somehow she had got it and expected some sort of help. She was amazingly calm and we talked for 10 minutes or so. I explained the situation and apologised for not being able to do anything but I did what I could. I listened and was supportive but I felt so helpless. The services for the victims of stalking are scarce and those that do exist do not have the recourses they need to provide 24 hour cover. This lovely woman who was in this situation through no fault of her own got her emotional support from the lady on the helpline and was now wonders where the money was going to come from to help her and her children move abroad and start again.

The whole episode left me with such a range of emotions among them great sadness and anger. I am wondering what I can do to help which is realistic. I know I will find something but if any of you readers have any suggestions, please let me know.

No comments: