Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The power of the walk.

Through a google alert this morning my attention was drawn to the following blog and I wanted to share this excerpt with you as it resonates so strongly with me.

Ditch the stress and walk.
'I was returning to work after lunch today and realized just how much I like walking instead of using my car. It is much more relaxing then sitting at red lights and having to deal with other drivers. Unfortunately most people’s routines fall into our on-the-go lifestyle that our society has created and I think it weighs very heavily on work related stress and our health. As I walk home it gives me time to relax and think about other aspects of my life outside of work. The exercise is an added bonus, plus the fresh air.

Selfishly I also wish more people had the ability to walk because then I would be breathing in less exhaust from cars passing by. Maybe I would even meet a few new faces and exchange in some light friendly conversation. If people walked between work and home, maybe it would allow more time to connect with the natural world and develop a few more environmental advocates. I challenge you to examine your day and add up all of the hours you spend inside a building or car; you may be surprised by how little of your day is spent in nature. It this is not the case, then consider yourself one of the lucky ones.'


I often coach my clients about the need to transition from work to home and this is just such a great way to do it. It gives you some space to think through and deal with the work issues that may have impacted upon you and allow you to deal with them and then set aside before getting home.

To read more of this blog and to catch more input click on :-

http://rsfellows.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/ditch-the-stress-and-walk/

No comments: