Friday, May 09, 2008

What do you do when you can't sleep?

I was exhausted by 9.00 last night so I went to bed. I'd done over 30,00 steps in the course of the day (3 times my daily allowance) having walked with two of my groups and then having walked to a meeting, which I have to admit was further than I thought. I did feel a great sense of achievement though.

So when my head did hit the pillow, sleep was all I had in mind. It didn't come easily which rather frustrating and then at 4.00a.m. I was wide awake. I tried to get back into it but my mind started racing, I tossed and turned, the birds started to sign louder and louder and at 4.30 I gave up and got up.

I don't like alarms and prefer to wake at my natural time but I do love being up really early when the world is still quiet and it all seems rather serene.

I made a cup of Camomile tea and then headed down the garden. The lawn was covered in snails, the sky was pinky gold as dawn broke through and the birdsong wonderful. Now I'm at my desk enjoying the solitude and watching the birds in the trees and bushes and the squirrels running along the fence.

Yes, I may be heading to bed again at 9.00 this evening but for now my head is still and it's been a lovely start to the day.

No comments: