Thursday, September 03, 2009

Keeping on the move.


I've done my East End Girl walks through the summer and did some wonderful exploring of new walks too as well as some client 'walk and talk' sessions but I have to admit that my early morning walking has been rather hit and miss.

I do miss that energetic start to the day so come Sept 1st I started them up again and already 3 days in I feel so much better, so much more energised and therefore more able to tackle the work load that has now come back into my life. I've been making a real effort to power walk and arrive home really hot and sweaty and knowing that I've had a bit of a workout, it makes me feel really great.


If you are aware that you need to get moving more then don't worry too much about the 'hot and sweaty' at the start, just aim to get out there more. There's a wide choice of exercise available but if you're not a swimmer, not into the gym, not a team player and find it hard to attend a class then perhaps walking is for you.


According to research from the Centre of Inflammation and Metabolism in Copenhagen it's the small bouts of activity throughout the day that protect our body from disease. They found that even slight reductions in activity levels quickly added up the chances of age related disease such as heart disease and diabetes.



So what can you do? It's really quite simple:-

  • take the stairs instead of the lift.
  • walk instead of drive for short journeys
  • get off transport a stop earlier and walk
  • don't email colleagues in the same building, go and visit them
  • take up dancing with friends and make an evening of it
  • meet friends for a walk and then have a coffee
  • dance around the house
  • use your kids trampoline
  • get on the kids wii
  • put more effort into the housework
  • join a walking group
  • get a pedometer, it's a great motivational tool

I'm sure there are loads more ideas but these will get you started and don't forget small amounts, you don't have to commit to hours of activity at any one time. Have fun.

No comments: