Friday, October 24, 2008

Trips away and that little bit of guilt.

France and Italy in the last couple of weeks - I feel rather spoiled and a little guilty.......but why?
I know I work hard, I know that I do more than 40 hours per week so why do I feel that little guilt from being away?


The first trip to France was work. As some of you know I was starting on, what I hope will be, a continued journey for a number of years as I complete the Camino de Compostella. It's 500+ miles long and in 4 days we did about 65, so a while to go yet.

How was it work? Well as the Walkers' Coach one of the things I do is train people to do treks - how credible would I be if my last trek was 10 years before? When I trek I have to up my fitness and training, all things that I can share. I also find out about new walks and treks and am able to advise and guide from a knowledgeable place.

This was taken early on a cold and frosty morning. It was clear and beautiful and this is work!!



I believe my guilt comes from doing what I love as it doesn't seem as if it's 'Work' but then that says a lot about how society defines 'work'. Why can't it be something you love?
I've always enjoyed my jobs but now I love what I do all the time. Even getting up at 7.00a.m. on a cold wet morning to walk is fine.
I'm hoping now-a-days that more and more of us can but I'm not convinced. From a career development point of view, and I still coach a lot of people on this in our "walk and talk" sessions, there are still too many people who hate their jobs and others who don't like their lives. To them I am in the minority and so lucky .... but then I've designed it this way. It took time but I got there and others can do so too.

Only you can change that so come on, be good to yourself. It may take a while but invest in you and get the life you want and deserve. You'll be much happier.
As for me..... the second break was pure holiday and just as much fun.




Eating Italian Ice-cream in Pisa





A view down the river in Florence with the Ponte Veccio in the foreground

The only guilt I feel there was work related as in having to not run some of my walks twice in one month. A staffing issue really and one I need to sort. Then perhaps the guilt will go. You know, now that I know what it is, I can deal with it.
What are you feeling guilty about? How can you change it? What action do you need to take? Go on, take it.

No comments: