Thursday, June 07, 2007

The balance journey.

I have been investigating the balance issue and looking to learn from the recent past as to what has brought about this relaxation and calm. For me, I feel that will be key in helping me retain it and I hope it will also be of help to you in terms of your creating your own calm and balance.

When I sat down at my computer this morning, the first thing I saw was my 'balance' card and it really is a great reminder. Just before starting to blog , I found myself thinking about how I felt and whether I was retaining balance.

I must add though that balance is always in flux and it is important that you know this. It is not static, well not over a long period of time anyway as things in our lives are not constant. The challenge is to make sure that overall we have the balance we want in our lives and need.

There will always be times when life is hectic, fraught with tasks and things to do and at times like this balance is hard. If this is for a short period of time, we can cope and we can catch up later but if it goes on too long that is when the problems start.

So what do you think? How are you on all of this? Do you need to make changes? Do you even know what balance means to you? If not, spend some time over the next week or so just noting when you feel good and what causes that. What is happening when things flow and you feel in control and able to get things done? Then what happens when the reverse is true?


In the photo above I can recall very easily how I was - relaxed; calm; grounded; at 'one' with the world; in control; doing what I wanted; in the company of lovely people; had just achieved a great goal; had been able to have a shower etc.

It's interesting that when I first went to find a photo of me relaxed, I went to look at beach photos and although I am relaxed lying in the sun, this one fits so much better. I use my walking to relax me and to ensure that I get balance in my life. In fact over the last 2 years walking has revolutionised my life.

Well back to where I started and the factors that have brought about my calm and relaxed state of mind and therefore enabled me to work more easily on my balance. In Peru where I chilled out I was :- getting a good nights sleep; in the fresh air most of the day and all of it when I was on the actual trek; exercising regularly and eating healthily. In France, I was :- getting lots of sleep, relaxing and doing what I choose to do - even though the dishes, shopping and gardening still needed doing; in the fresh air as much as I could; exercising through gardening and some walking and eating well and healthily.

In France the healthy eating did tail off a little towards the end of the week due to wedding preparations and the day itself and the sleep was well eaten in too but both those things I have been careful to deal with since I came home. I could have let it go but I know how feeling this way benefits not only me so I have worked at it and catching the demise early is always easier.

I hope there are insights for you. Let me know.

No comments: