Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Prepare to be inspired...and humbled

Every so often someone who does something that really makes the rest of us think and this is one of those situations....

Most of us remember the suicide bomb attacks on London tube trains and buses on July 7, 2005. It was the day after my 47th birthday and also the day after London won the right to host the Olympics in 2012. I remember how happy London had been and how everyone was celebrating and the kids who live close were planning how they could be involved. It was then so hard to comprehend how this could all be so short lived as London watched in horror as the news unfolded.

One lady, who was the last person to be pulled alive from a Piccadilly tube train travelling between Kings Cross and Russell Square was Gill Hicks. An Aussie, Gill lost both legs in that attack but has just completed a 30-day trek which saw her walk from Leeds to London, a distance of 435 km on her prosthetic limbs.

After arriving in Trafalgar Square on Sunday, Ms Hicks said: "All of us stepped into this journey with great faith and great belief that humanity would carry us through from town to town and that's exactly what happened. "For me to walk from Leeds to London is probably the single most difficult thing I could ever have imagined. "I still can't quite believe that I have achieved it but I never gave up because of the people that never gave up on me."

Way to go, Gill. You are an inspiration to us all.

No comments: